As you are aware, California now has statewide rent control and with it comes some additional form requirements and updates to our Rental Agreement and/or Lease.
Below are two, additional, mandatory forms you will need to use:
Written notices to tenants (AOA forms 201 Series)
- 201E – Notices for units Exempt from AB 1482
- 201S – Notices for units Subject to AB 1482
Addendum to Leases (AOA form 202 Series)
- 202E – Addendum for units Exempt from AB 1482
- 202S – Addendum for units Subject to AB 482
Below are instructions for both.
- WRITTEN NOTICES REQUIRED
For tenancies existing before July 1, 2020 : The landlord is required to provide written notice to existing tenants whether the property is subject to or exempt from AB 1482 – statewide rent control. One of the below notices must be provided to tenants by August 1, 2020.
- If the unit is NOT under the statewide rent control, send your tenants:
AOA Form # 201E – NOTICE OF EXEMPTION FROM AB 1482 RENT CAPS & JUST CAUSE EVICTIONS
- If the unit IS subject to statewide rent control, send your tenants:
AOA Form # 201S – PROPERTY SUBJECT TO AB 1482 RENT CAPS & JUST CAUSE EVICTIONS
- ADDENDUM TO RENTAL AGREEMENT
Any tenancy commenced or renewed on or after July 1, 2020 requires the landlord to include one of the following forms, as an addendum to the lease or rental agreement, with a copy provided to the tenant along with the lease.
- If the unit is NOT under the statewide rent control, use:
AOA Form # 202E – PROPERTY EXEMPT FROM AB 1482 RENT CAPS & JUST CAUSE EVICTIONS ADDENDUM
- If the unit IS subject to statewide rent control, use:
AOA Form # 202S – PROPERTY SUBJECT TO AB 1482 RENT CAPS & JUST CAUSE EVICTIONS ADDENDUM
AOA’s UPDATED RENTAL AGREEMENTS – (Revision date 02/2020)
AOA has updated rental agreements to meet the requirements of the new statewide rent control laws. Please be sure to use the new agreements for any Rental Agreement/Lease that begins on July 1st and thereafter. There are specifically two new areas to be aware of.
- Mark the box where resident acknowledges receipt of “AB 1482 Addendum” and
- Make a checkmark in the appropriate AB 1482 required clauses at the end of the agreement – NOTICE TO RESIDENT: STATEWIDE RENT CONTROL.
AOA Members can download these and all other forms for FREE by visiting www.aoausa.com.